Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Let Society be a Part and Parcel of Our New Year Resolutions


If there is something in this world that keeps moving all the time, that is nothing else but TIME. As we grow, we see old years passing by and new years coming into our lives. And it's always our hope and wish that new year brings us happiness, peace and prosperity. This is what almost everybody believes in. What we sometimes fail to understand is one cannot live a peaceful and a happy live unless the society around us is happy and peaceful. As human beings we are social and hence the society determines standards of our lives to some extent or the other.

Along with the personal goals and wishes that everyone likes to aim for in a new year, unless one takes up resolutions that makes society and the nation a part and parcel of their resolutions and goals, the years keep passing, and our hope of peace and happiness remain as a hope and nothing changes except the mere numeric year. I am sure we all do not want 2013 to be a mere numeric year for us in our lives but we want 2013 as an year that brings a changes in our lives. And as I said, the real happiness can be experienced only when the whole society around us experiences happiness. Let's resolve to undertake the following in 2013:

1. I will spend time and resources for serving the poor, downtrodden, old and those handicapped by physical and mental challenges to what ever least extent that I am capable of.
2. I will cast my vote in every election that comes in my constituency be it local, state or national elections.
3. I will not go by what media says but I will consider what media says and go by my own judgement and come to an opinion on any issue.
4. I will not get involved in any kind of corruption that is possible either as a giver or a taker
5. I will respect all the fellow beings and women as our family members and strengthen India's culture of treating everyone as a part of our own family. "Vasudaiva kutumbakam"
6. I will execute all my fundamental duties such as paying taxes, keeping my surroundings clean and neat, protecting public property etc.
7. I will stand up and question any Government authority when I find them not doing their job or when they behave carelessly with the citizens.
8. I will do my bit in protecting our Indian culture, arts and folk which we are proud of and which makes us very unique in the world and I will strongly protest the westernization of our culture.
9. I will keep reading good literature of at least 1 to 2 pages everyday and learn and live by the good thoughts and values
10. I will live by the attitude of "Nation First and Self Last"

I am sure that the above 10 things are not sufficient enough to make our society a very happy and prosperous one but I am sure you would agree with me that if all of us can follow at least the above mentioned ones, we can see 2013 as an year of Change.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: